Looking for a short, sexy and intense romantic story? Consider reading a Harlequin Presents. Known as a Modern romance in the UK and Australia, this line of category romances is all about passion, seduction and romantic fantasy.
Readers can expect alpha male heroes in a Harlequin Presents. They are powerful men who are often billionaires or royal (or both!). The books are usually set in glamorous and exotic international locations such as private Greek islands or faraway Middle Eastern kingdoms. And the storylines touch on favorite tropes such as secret babies, marriages of convenience and captive heroines.
If you haven’t tried a Harlequin Presents, start with one of these books:
Reminiscent of the Harlequin Presents from the 70s and 80s, Count Valieri’s Prisoner takes the reader into a mysterious world filled with illusion, secrets and intrigue. Maddie is weeks away from her wedding when she takes a work trip to Italy only to be kidnapped by the count. She is taken because of her association with her future in-laws. Her fiancé’s delay in gaining her freedom is as stunning as the sexual desire she has for her captor. No matter how much she fights the attraction, Maddie knows she needs to escape before she succumbs to her enemy.
Written solely in Maddie’s point of view, Count Valieri is just as enigmatic to the reader as he is to the heroine. Author Sara Craven creates a memorable love story and it’s no surprise that this romance won the RT award for Best Harlequin Presents in 2013.
Snowbound in his English castle on the anniversary of a personal tragedy, Lucas is in a dangerous mood when his plucky assistant Emma shows up. There has never been any sexual attraction between them but everything changes in just one night. They want the relationship to go back to the way it had been, and yet they yearn for more than one night of passion.
This sensual love story won the RITA in 2013 for Short Contemporary Series Romance. The complex bond between Emma and Lucas sparks with heat and unexpected moments of humor. It might be a boss and assistant relationship but the two are evenly matched. Emma’s tenderness can pierce through Lucas’s grief while he can disarm her sensible attitude with one sexy look.
Rio is a self-made man who transformed himself from a vulnerable street rat to a powerful billionaire. But when he meets Isabella, she doesn’t know who he is and her lack of deference is refreshing. Rio knows the desire between them is honest and real but will it continue when Isabella discovers he’s the infamous Rio D’Aquila?
This love story received the Romantic Times Award for Best Presents in 2011. The sexual chemistry between the hero and heroine is instantaneous in this mistaken identity romance—and it just keeps getting hotter right to the end.
Recommended Reading List
In addition to the books mentioned above, get these sexy contemporary romance novels:
- A Baby to Bind His Bride by Caitlin Crews: If you love amnesia tropes, plot twists and unpredictable situations, read this sexy contemporary romance.
- Claiming His Christmas Wife by Dani Collins: In this emotionally intense romance, Travis and Imogen must pretend that they have reconciled just in time for Christmas. They need to remember that this reunion—no matter how real it feels—won’t last after the holidays.
- The Cozakis Bride by Lynne Graham: Originally published in 2000, the playboy billionaire clashes with the rebellious virgin in this forced marriage romance.
- Demanding His Secret Son by Louise Fuller: The secret baby storyline has the intensity and passion you want from a Harlequin Presents!
- A Ring to Take His Revenge by Pippa Roscoe: Readers will love the heroine’s dry humor as she participates in a fake engagement with her playboy boss.
- The Temptress of Tarika Bay by Robyn Donald: Hawke should stay away from Morna, but their passionate affair is as inevitable as it it destructive.
- Untouched Queen by Royal Command by Kelly Hunter: The arranged marriage love story is about longing and denial. The author creates a world you want to get lost in!
Want to read vintage Harlequin Presents? Find a few recommendations in the Favorite Penny Jordan Books blog post.